Mark Hilliard is a litigation attorney who works to assist each client to achieve their legal objectives by implementing smart, aggressive, creative, and cost-effective legal solutions to a client’s business or personal challenges. Mr. Hilliard’s clients include individuals, start-up companies, small and local businesses, and large multinational corporations alike.
Mr. Hilliard has extensive experience trying cases in state and federal courts, including outside of California, and in resolving cases through arbitration and mediation. Although his legal career has primarily focused on high-stakes civil litigation concerning business, employment, contract, and tort disputes, he also has experience representing clients in estate litigation and cannabis business matters. Mr. Hilliard has represented clients in a variety of industries, including in the retail, mass transit and transportation, technology, construction, energy, automobile and truck manufacturing and sales, farm machinery, sporting goods, cannabis, and health care sectors.
Through hard work, and precise and detailed case management, Mr. Hilliard has consistently achieved favorable results for his clients. Mr. Hilliard was selected as a Super Lawyers ‘Rising Star’ in civil litigation from 2013-2020 and was selected and recognized as a Super Lawyer in 2021 . Along with other accolades, he has been awarded the highest peer rating of ‘AV-Preeminent’ from Martindale.
Recent Trials and Arbitrations Resulting in Successful Verdicts
- Cannard v. Ford Motor Co., 2015, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Holley v. Ford Motor Co., 2017, Court of Common Pleas, Beaufort, South Carolina
- Keating v. Avangate, Inc., 2019, Arbitration
Articles and Publications
- The Evolution and Misinterpretation of the Establishment Clause: Is Teaching Intelligent Design in Public Schools a Governmental Endorsement of Religion Prohibited by the First Amendment? 32 Dayton L. Rev. 145 (2006)
- Department of Veterans Affairs (2012-2018) – Mark has been accredited by the Office of the General Counsel to assist military veterans in handling legal claims pending before the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Volunteer Legal Services Program (2012-present) – Mark serves as a benefactor to this program, providing justice, health, and social services to the poor and underserved.
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Minority Law Student Scholarship Program (2012-present) – Mark is a benefactor to this scholarship program, established to reaffirm commitment to diversity in legal education and within the legal profession.
- Participates in the “LiveLikeLou” Foundation. Volunteers and assists ALS Bay Area families who have been effected by Lou Gehrig’s disease.